The song I selected for this analysis was, "Say Yes to Heaven" by Lana del Rey. I deeply enjoy listening to this song, I think it is a slower more relaxing and romantic song. The beat of this song is a slower and simpler beat which gives the song a dramatic and romantic feel. These feeling are of course in conjunction with the lyrics. If the lyrics were not romantic, the slow beat could make the audience feel differently. The tempo of this song is also on the slower side. This also adds to romantic and relaxed feel of the song. The vocal range of the singer of this song is limited. It is limited but I definitely believe that was the artists musical choice. I think the current range in this song adds to the ambience of the song. I do not feel like she is lacking at all in this song. The melody of this song is quite simple in my opinion. The same melody is repeated throughout almost the entire song. The rhythm of this song is slow and consistent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAoetOXKcY&list=RDMiAoetOXKcY&start_radio=1,
Hello Sofia! I love Lana Del Ray, and have listened to every album of hers. I always listen to her music when I need some good calm and emotional background music. I really like how you wrote about the romantic aspect of this song and how it ties in with the slow beat, I very much agree with you it does have a very romantic tone to it and the slow beat creates that vibe. I also like and very much agree with the fact she is not lacking anything in this song, I truly believe this song is exactly how she planned it to be and the slow and romantic feel is a perfect execution of it. I am really glad I found your post to comment on, as she is a favorite artist of mine. Thank you for sharing your very well written blog post!
ReplyDeleteHi, Sofia. This is such a classic Lana Del Ray song! Great choice. I don’t listen to her often, but there are a few that I enjoy. I oppose relaxing or slow songs, but I sometimes make exceptions. Another song of hers that I have been listening to lately is Diet Mountain Dew; I think you’ve heard it before since it is another classic and is quite popular. Lana’s voice is soothing, almost placing you into a trance. I also agree with you; its simple beat gives it a dramatic feel, and I would recommend listening to it in a rainy day to entrance yourself.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve analyzed the song very well! In fact, I believe you could separate each musical element into separate paragraphs to add more depth into your analysis. I would love to hear your thoughts about the elements you have chosen. For instance, I am curious about the lyrics segment; if they weren’t romantic, what could make the audience feel differently? What I think, this song could be one of those popular lo-fi beat music on YouTube that helps you with studying. Or, could be a lullaby because of how relaxing and slow it is. Lana’s voice is complex and unique than most artists. Her vocal range could definitely expand; however, it is dependent on her intention with each song. I see how her range within this song is limited, and I wonder if she ever sang in a higher range. Though, her low range complements well as it balances with the slow, gentle beat.
This song has garnered a considerable amount of attention, especially on TikTok with its latest trend. I would love to hear criticism regarding the song, artist, or the meaning. Here is a link I have found that analyzed the song: https://americansongwriter.com/the-meaning-behind-the-yearning-say-yes-to-heaven-by-lana-del-rey/. From a small skim, it looks like it supports your argument as it agrees how melancholic and dreamy it is!
Your musical analysis was fun to read, and I am excited to hear about your future entries! Thanks for sharing.